Wednesday, May 14, 2008

ANNETTE-ITIS

Maybe it's the fact that over the past 8 weeks I have been inundated with making invitations, planning birthday parties, baby showers, and preparing Relief Society lessons, but it's been a bit overwhelming. During my self evaluation periods, I wonder if this feeling of being over loaded is more self induced than anything. You see...I have this condition...I have inherited it from my mother and it has not only been passed on to me, but to my sister Adrianne as well. We're not sure what happened to the other 'Smart' siblings that seem to have bypassed this contagious epidemic, but I applaud them for escaping the nemesis. It's a condition I like to call "Annette-itis."

You know you have this condition if you find yourself preparing a Primary lesson on families and you decide that to illustrate this concept to the children you are teaching you will make them each a homemade doll. But wait, not just a doll representing them, but dolls representing each of their siblings. ABSOLUTE CRAZINESS!!! Or, you are given the task of making bridal shower invitations for your sister and even though you know you have to make 50 invites, you still go the elaborate route of grommets, 3 different kinds of paper, and endless printing which results in a midnight melt down where in your sister and your brother-in-law to be have to intervene and take over the project sending you to bed rather than committing you to the insane asylum of which may have been more appropriate. OR...it may also look like this:


A counter full of homemade sugar cookies because heaven forbid you pass out store bought cookies to the sisters in Relief Society

And then of course you have to package them just right so you can make a good impression

A shopping bag full of plastic Easter eggs all filled w/ the good kind of candy (not the gross kind) because you want to continue to win the prize of funnest, single Aunt a niece or nephew could ever have


Another elaborate invitation - this time for your brother's 30th surprise birthday party


Does this behavior warrant an intervention?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definately don't think you need any intervention....mostly because Myself, my husband, or children are the recipients of your disease. We love it and appreciate you so much...Misty

Arica said...

You make me laugh, because all the years I knew you well, roommate well...You exhibited all of these same "Annette-itis" behaviors, and that's what's makes you, well you. Hello! I still have some of the Mary E. cards you made then. So in my junior high school professional opinion, as a counselor, no intervention is necessary. Only a few good hours of SLEEP & Diet Coke!!

Brown Sugar said...

I cant really comment, as you pointed out I am one of the siblings that this bypassed. We only have two modes in our family: over the top over achiever or bare minimum mildly retarded.

Anonymous said...

Well anyone in our family can totally understand your condition...I'm just lucky that Nola doesn't have that to pass on to me!!!! I agree with the intervention of sleep and a diet coke are in order! Call me if you need me to make any arangements :)

Love you!
Lettie

Adrianne said...

my post on making all the baby bedding for a girl I know to prevent "the uglies" and making invitations for my niece coming soon.
I think all those conference talks about simplifying life are directed to us.

Jessica said...

As a recipient of the blessings of this disease, I hope you all never get better.

Linsey said...

I remember with fondness the individually embossed invitations your sister made for my engagement party and wish I had a smidgen of Annette-itis and am grateful to have benefited from its over the top wonderfulness. You are who you are and we love you for it!

angela said...

I think that living with you rubbed off on me because I have the same disease! A few months ago I made 16 dozen iced sugar cookies for a primary activity - I know it was crazy but I couldn't not make them myself! Embrace it - you make the world a better place!

Linsey said...

Um, hi, saw you on the happy birthday gabe video and just wanted to say...how skinny, sexy girl!! You look wonderful!