Sunday, August 3, 2008

Jamaica Me Crazy!!!

Just for the record...I have been trying to post this blog for the past 4 days now. I realize this doesn't excuse that last 2 months that I haven't posted, but maybe will explain why I don't post more often. That being said...on with the blog material...

I am in a stage right now where I am looking for a new & improved life. Thus, while in contemplation of what my next move is; I figured - why not go to Jamaica w/ 2 of my girlfriends and ponder while basquing in the warm, blue Caribbean waters and where "everything going to be all right mon!" So, here's what I learned while in Jamaica:

#1: It is impossible to be bugged, depressed, or in any other foul mood when you arrive to your resort & the view from room is this:


#2: Who wouldn't be in even a finer mood when the ocean you will be immersing yourself in looks this blue and is actually warm?


#3: When going to Jamaica or any other Caribbean destination, go to Target, Walgreens, or any other drugstore of choice and stock up on those plastic inflatible rafts that are approximately $2.50 in the U.S. That way you don't have to pay $20 each for them at the resort.

#4: If you're really appalled at paying $20 for the above rafts, get yourself a lifeguard boyfriend who will sell you rafts off the black market for 50% of the original cost. Thanks to Dabrielle, we were able to score our rafts for $10 a piece.

#5: When you are fair skinned & blue eyed, be prepared to be acousted by the locals ALL THE TIME...with very genuine invitations to bring you back to their house so they can make you dinner. As pictured below, the guy who invited me to return to his humble abode for a "true" Jamaican meal...clearly the dude is a creep out because when asked to take a picture with me (my friend did the asking) he felt the need to pose w/ his hand on my stomach...WIERD!


#6: When staying at a resort, be prepared to meet many local men with rather interesting nicknames. For example, my friend Heather had a dude by the name of "Steam" who was rather taken with her charm. On the other hand, the local below went the name of "Slick." He asked that I please email him a copy of this picture, of which I will not abide. However, he apparently offers tours of various Jamaican points of interest. If any of you are interested, let me know. He gave me his business card "Slick Tours."

#7: Be prepared that no matter how much sunblock you apply, reapply, and then reapply again, you will come away with noticable sun scorch. Just go with it & save for laser skin treatment later.

#8: When choosing a carrier to jet you to the tropical region of the earth, choose one that partners with the Ritz Carlton just in case your return flight gets cancelled. After spending all day in a stuffy, humid airport with the other 140 displaced passengers, collecting our luggage, having to go through customs AGAIN - it makes you appreciate (as pictured below) room service meals, comfortable bed, and yet again ocean views that are all too surreal...


Is it too soon to go back??? I think I hear the warm waters calling my name...

2 comments:

Arica said...

Can I just say that I am "Jealous!!" But I am so very glad that you had a great time!!

Brown Sugar said...

this is not a comment, I am not commenting on your blog b/c you NEVER comment on mine. with that being said, I am very jealous of your trip.