Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Cowboy Way

Meet Cade...2 yrs. old, exercising his individuality, and breaking all the fashion rules. However, I give him props for being such a trend setter & not caring about what others think of him. Really this is more of an act of independence and winning the show down I like to call "battle of the wills." I must tell you that his attire for the weekend was NOT a result of his mother dressing him, but rather his stubbornness to not be dressed. Finally the adults are exhausted from the fight to get him dressed and move on to other items that need attention.

This weekend I joined the Josh Smart family at their ranch. It was more of a "city slickers" experience for me, but I appreciate their patience and KNOW they must be desperate when they enlist my help.

I was assisting with the task of logging the cattle's ear tag number and vaccinating the new heifers born this summer. During a routine vaccination shot, a baby heifer got restless which in turn made me jerk my arm and the syringe I was using broke. So, I ran over to the tack barn to try and find new syringes. While in my haste, I was thinking out loud and talking to Cade (a.k.a. "Tud") and saying to him:

"Man Tuddy, I am so frustrated. I don't know if there are any syringes in here. Do you think I can find some?"

Tud's oh so honest reply was:

"Um, a cowboy could but you proly can't."

OK then - moving on. I ran back to my post as the "number logger" and reported to my brother and his wife that I was just schooled by their 2 yr old. Apparently you can only find what you need on the ranch if you're a cowboy. Duly noted by this "city slicker."

Can anyone out there top such a fashion offense???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish to be a cowgirl at the ranch! I miss you tons and I think that I am about due for a trip to AZ for some In-N-Out :)

Love you!
Lettie

Arica said...

Ash,
I am having a difficult time picturing you vaccinating cows...but what a valuable experience!! And as for you being schooled by a half naked cowboy is so dang funny!! Hope all is good in AZ.

Misty Smart said...

ash- read josh's comment on adriannes blog about you guys...he is so retarded

Linsey said...

I milked a cow this summer, that is the most I ever need to do on a farm/ranch again. Vaccinating cows is way out of my league.

Linsey said...

When Adr and Mario are here is a perfect time to come - I'm all about killing multiple birds with one stone

We are delighted to have you and Mindy any time you want!