Monday, November 12, 2007

Sunday Tradition

OK, so I know I promised more travel updating, but this blog just can't be put aside. I want to let all of you in on the weekly Sunday tradition that happens at the Smart household (where the mom & dad reside.) It usually consists of the following players: Me, Lindsay, Dave, & Annette. (For unknown reason Matthew mysteriously disappears during this hour of the night & won't join the crowd in the family room.) We gather at around 5:00 for the dinner portion of the evening and then we lead in to the family room for another rousing episode of "The Amazing Race."


I don't know how many of you are avid fans, or even a fan for that matter, but our family has become hooked in a serious way. Our game of Phase 10 was even pre empted for the show Sunday night; which to Lindsay's glee was not resumed (she was losing by a landslide.) Aside from the competitveness, humorous anecdotes, and world geography our father (aka Dave) proffers a commentary to be rivaled by the world's best orators. For example, during team introductions his commentary sounded something like this:

The hippie couple where the male is sporting a disgusting aray of dread locks:
Dave: "Oh yuck! She has no taste!"

The lesbian minister couple
Dave: "OH - THAT IS EVEN MORE DISGUSTING! I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY LET THOSE DIKES ON THE SHOW!"

The blonde girls that resemble Malibu Barbies:
Dave: "Oh yeah...those girls have nice bodies and good attitudes. Boy, I do like their attitude."

Oh yes, this is but a mere sampling of the lively, energetic narrative that explodes out of the mouth of my father. For those of you seeking an entertaining time on Sunday evenings from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. - you're more than welcome to attend. However, please know that you have been warned and that I nor my siblings accept any responsibility for offensive comments that make you feel uncomfortable. It's Dave - you just role with it.

The grandpa of the grandson/grandfather team decided to strip down to his unmentionables in order to give himself as much advantage as possible while pole vaulting across a canal.

6 comments:

Linsey said...

This is by far my favorite reality show because 1) the people are just so unbelievably lame, which I love, and 2) I am confident that I could go on this show and win. And now all I want is to come to chez Smart and bask in the glory of Dave and his racist, derogatory remarks. I didn't think it was possible for the show to get better, but I guess it all depends on the company you keep!

Paige said...

Dave sure would add some color. Can't wait until get gets a load of the Goth people. Which is the boy? Which is the girl?

Mindy said...

ash i knew he would make a comment about the ministers and i have actually been in attendance when two men kissed and heard an earful from dave "geo-trekker" smart. i think i am coming over on sunday evening. phase 10 withdrawal and annette's amazing cooking.

Jessica said...

All I have ever wanted in my dull, gray life is regular Dave episodes. PLEASE PLEASE continue.

Brown Sugar said...

Ashley- I have been trying to tell the family for years that the way to bring friends around the house and not get embarrassed is all in the way you market dad. You have succeded! instead of everyone being weirded out by Dad they love him!

Adrianne said...

We will be sure to be present every Sunday in January, and I will NOT translate for MArio.